Tuesday, September 15, 2015

What can a library say about a person?

You've almost certainly heard some form of the adage, "You can't tell a book by it's cover." I've read a number of articles about various personal libraries, and over the course of slowly cataloging my own, I've begun to wonder what others might tell about me from my library? Like most libraries, mine is in transition, both at home and online. The reality of my online collection is that it only reflects about 15-20% of what is taking up room on the shelves--and the piles (oh, the piles!) on the coffee table, speakers, chairs, floor. My partner bears with it...but only just. From the scattering view-able at LibraryThing right now, one might get the impression that I only think about cooking and art (mainly book arts) In fact, the majority of my collection consists of literature (mainly in English, but also French), which originates internationally (so, many translations). Of course, there are also "crossover" works to the other strengths of my collection, philosophy and theology. By "crossover," I mean works like Pascal's Pensées--should one call it literature, philosophy, and/or theology? The same argument could be made for some of C.S. Lewis' works, and others as well, Charles Williams, George Herbert, etc.

Another factor that would need to be kept in mind is the use I make of LibraryThing. As I wrote in my profile there, "Initially, I used this utility only to keep track of my cookbooks--they represent only a smallish portion of my private library, so at this point I've decided also to add the other parts of my collection as I have time. And, as with my cookbooks, it's largely an attempt to prevent the purchase of duplicates (theoretically anyway...)." For that reason, it might seem odd that I have only cookbooks and art books online--but, those are the areas that I'm still developing and it's difficult for me to remember (sometimes) the ones I've already bought! However, with my mobile device handy, I can always find out quickly which titles/authors I already own. It has been *really* useful. And, even more so when the LibraryThing app finally gets approved!

Considering that LibraryThing is now openly encouraging users to include other media in their personal collections, other interesting insights about me might be derived before long. I've never undertaken cataloging my music, but I love the idea! My collection includes a wide variety of styles as well as a number of formats ranging from vinyl and cassette tapes, to CDs and online file-types which are also indicative of the evolution of my musical tastes. When it comes to video recordings, we have pretty much migrated to DVD, and yes, that pronoun transition from first person singular to plural was intentional, it indicates that unlike books and music, the movies that have been collected usually end up being those that we both choose to view again; therefore, both my own tastes and those of my partner must be taken into consideration there.

Anyway, if you'd like to have a look at the online library to see what you think you can tell about me, follow this link to my collection at LibraryThing. If you'd like to view my real personal library, that's another matter entirely.