Tuesday, August 11, 2009

My big fat Greek experience in L.A.

At the suggestion of the Food Librarian who has an intimate knowledge of L.A. eateries, foodie hangouts, (and has library savvy to boot), I decided to go to Papa Cristos on Pico, and see what Greek looks like in Los Angeles. What I found was a really great little shop with many familiar products, and also some new ones that I had never seen before.

I looked and looked for ouzo, but couldn't seem to find it anywhere. After looking through all of the products on the shelves, including their wines, I was about to give up when I happened up to the counter. There I spotted a packet of chewing gum that used mastic gum from Chios for flavoring, (and they had it in sugarfree, too), when a woman who worked there greeted me from behind the counter. I looked up -- and saw that behind her was the best selection of ouzos I had ever seen! I couldn't see any of the typical ouzos like Metaxa, Cambas, or Thrace 7... their stock of bottles all seemed to have the aura of "artisan still" eminating from them. Jackpot!

I knew I only could put so much weight in my luggage, so I didn't want a large bottle; I asked what they carried in 375ml bottles instead. She offered me two, one an ouzo, and the other a tsipouro. They both cost the same, and they both looked equally appealing to the eye. I asked which was better--she said it depended on what one liked... The only thing I could think at the moment is that I don't like really sweet anise flavor. I asked which one would be less sweet, she asked a man in Greek who seemed to know about these things as he was passing by; his answer was quick and certain--the tsipouro. Voila! my choice was made, and I got to taste something I'd never had before, Tsantalis Tsipouro.



Next, I looked over the baked goods at the end of the counter. They had all of the classics: baklava, galactoboureko, kataifi (I think), cookies, etc. But, what caught my eye this time was a large humble-looking square of brown cake. It turned out to be the syrup laden walnut spice cake they called "Karidopita" I ate half of it later that evening, it was very rich, and I only managed to get through half; the rest I left for in the morning, and had it with my coffee.

The last thing I did was pop over to the restaurant portion of the place and order a lamb souvlaki pita to go. So, that was my dinner; when I got back to the place I was staying, I finished up with a couple shots of tsipouro and half a piece of the walnut cake. All in all, pretty satisfying.